9/27/2008

Today's Special

I was obsessed with two shows when I was young: Mannequin and Today's Special. I'd like to take this late night opportunity to tell you a little sometin' sometin' about each of them.

Mannequin
Soon after I started at Barkley I started working on an account called Organized Living. As far as what it was: the name says it all. I am pretty sure it's bankrupt now, though. Beside the point. Anywho, I was once in an internal OL meeting with Becky and Lindsey - both my superiors. We were brainstorming holiday and an idea came to me: an amazing store window. I compared it to the windows Jonathan made in Mannequin. I got nothing. I reminded them what Mannequin was all about. Still nothing. "How could you not know about Mannequin? I love that movie!" Even more blank stares.

I'm sure you, my dear friends, remember Mannequin. It's not only one of the greatest movies of all time, it's also Kim Catrall's start.

I think my all time favorite show though, besides Mannequin, is Today's Special. I would watch it religiously; I am sure my folks would attest that. I vividly remember when I stumbled upon the wonder that is Nickelodeon. I was young - somewhere between three and five I'd say and I had Nickelodeon on. I am pretty sure I said to my mom (and for some reason I REALLY REMEMBER THIS): "I just found a great station for kids. It's called Nickelodeon." Turns out I was a little sales person 25+ years ago.

The BEST part of Nickelodeon though was "Today's Special." Like I said. I can't beGIN to describe it; best show ever. I am sure it won Emmy's. But what I can tell you is a lot of people I talk to don't know about Today's Special (when we are discussing at opportune times of course). However, there is one person who knows Today's Special and knows Maria (I think that was her name), Jeff, Sam and Muffy. And that person is T Fitch.

Just one more reason we were meant to be together.

Yes, I'm a little concerned both my favorite shows when growing up included mannequins. When I decipher I will let you know.

Someone, aka my idol, has posted a video of Today's Special on YouTube. Click on the hyperlinks above to view. I applaud you friend. Has anyone else been a huge Today's Special fan?

No comments: