9/29/2008

Catching up on the DVR

Last night I sat down and was able to watch a show that's been trapped in the DVR: Stand Up to Cancer. I was in Michigan at a rehearsal dinner when the telethon aired (Sept. 5) so I asked Trevor to DVR it for me. Some would consider DVRing a telethon an odd request, but I am glad I was able to catch the unprecedented event.

Jennifer Anitson. Beyonce. Fergie Ferg. Miley Cyrus. Sheryl Crow. James Taylor. Melissa Ethridge. Charles Barkley. Eva Longoria Parker. Meryl Streep. Ellen DeGeneres. Jack Black. Robin Roberts. Natasha Bedingfield. Lance Armstrong. Elizabeth Edwards. Scarlett Johansen. Christina Applegate. Abigail Breslin. John McCain and Barack Obama. Katie Couric, Brian Williams and Charlie Gibson. All of these individuals and many more came together for one hour on a Friday night to show their dedication to ending a horrible disease that affects too many Americans.

I had a range of emotions when watching Stand Up to Cancer. I was sad, especially when Katie Couric interviewed a young girl (maybe 10 years old) currently facing cancer. I laughed when the same young girl said "I'm not a very complacent patient." I was scared when thinking about the odds that I or a close friend or family member will be diagnosed with cancer. I was amazed and thankful that some of the world's most influential celebrities volunteered to use their likeness to raise money for the horrible disease. But most of all, I was optimistic. Optimistic that with the dedication like that displayed on Sept. 5, a cure for cancer is close.

In the amount of time it's taken me to write this blog post, 38 people across the United States have died from cancer. I looked online this morning and Stand Up to Cancer has raised $100 million. An amazing result to something so simple and so important - and clearly, by the startling statics, something so desperately needed.

If you missed Stand Up to Cancer, you can watch it online HERE. I highly recommend it.

No comments: