2/01/2013

Mommyhood

There was a period in time when I thought taking care of a newborn was easy peasy. This phase coincided with when my mom* was staying with us, and was doing the laundry (lots and lots of laundry), making my bed (I love a made bed), making us meals, running my errands (grocery store, Walgreens...oh, the infamous Walgreens run), tending to Macy, and more. She was taking care of me and the house so I could take care of Chuck. Of course, she also was able to keep an eye on him when I showered to make that more productive for me.

But now, it's been just Charlie and I for the past few weeks and I've realized how little time there is to get these household essentials done. And if the basics do get done--laundry, dinner on the table, bills paid--some extra curricular activity hasn't happened...painting nails, exercising, calling a friend. Just getting to eat breakfast and lunch is a challenge. And snacks for mom are rare.

I don't think I'm doing anything incorrectly or inefficiently; I think feeding, diaper changes and getting them back to sleep takes a lot more time than it sounds like. But I wouldn't change it for the world. As a person who used to be go-go-go and always thinking of her next project, sitting on the couch holding a sleeping baby is a far departure from days of past. But I'm surprisingly great with it.

I'm reading a fun little book for rookie moms, courtesy of Annie, (appropriately titled "The Rookie Mom's Handbook") and one of her tips was to forgo the to-do list and make a "got-done list." On any given day for me, it may look a little something like:

1. Changed 10 diapers, 4 of them very poopy.
2. Gave Charlie a face and butt bath.
3. Dressed Charlie in morning.
4. Changed Charlie's clothes in afternoon after blowout.
5. Swaddled and rocked Charlie to sleep for three naps.
6. Fed Charlie 8 times = about 6 hours with burping and rests.
7. Administered gas drops 6 times.
8. Beat Shannon in Words with Friends. :)
9. Played with Macy. Let her outside numerous times.
10. Made the bed.

When you look at it that way, maternity leave days are chock full of productivity. It is not sitting on the couch catching up on the DVR. So I'm challenging myself to not get down if it is a day where I am in sweats until 5 pm or the dishwasher only gets half unloaded. Instead, I'm relishing my time with my little Bubba and this smile, as the days are already going so fast and I know soon enough maternity leave will feel like the distant past.

In closing, I would just like to say that for numerous reasons, I have a new appreciation of Mother's Day. To all the mommas out there, we truly do have the hardest but best job in the world.

* My mom does everything the best. Folds clothes the best. Makes beds the best. And then turns DOWN the bed at night and turns on the bedside lamps. Amazing Everything she did around the house reminded me of her special touch that I don't quite have. Why did I ever move out 15 years ago? (That makes me feel very old.)

No comments: