2/01/2013

Mom lesson 2, 3 & 4:

1. Everyone will have an opinion. We were debating on giving Cman a pacifier in the hospital (see #2). Two doctors condoned it. Moments later, the nurse and lactation consultant condemned it. Parents have to do what they feel is best for their child and go with their intuition

2. Speaking of pacis, this lesson is never say never. Pre-baby, I was adamant about not using a pacifier. You can see by #1, we were already introducing it in the hospital. On the flip side, I've been considering cloth diapers, to which TFitch said "I never thought I'd hear that come out of your mouth," when I told him what I was thinking. The parent in you will likely surprise pre-parent you.

3. I will ensure the following things are in my hospital bag for baby #2 (that's right, I'm not scared off.) All ended up being super helpful to have while at the hospital with Charlie:

- Mouthwash. If you labor for a while, or you simply can't get out of bed, a little Scope in the mouth helps you feel a little bit cleaner. This should not replace regular toothbrushing, but is a quick fix. Speaking of toothbrushing, be prepared to brush in bed. For me, this required TFitch pre-rinsing my toothbrush and applying the tooth paste.I had a glass of water to rinse with and an empty glass to spit in. When you're bed bound for nearly 48 hours like I was, this is a good system, 48 hours brings up lesson 3b: catheters rock.

- Pre-moistened facial wipes. For the same reason as the mouthwash, these were amazing. I asked my SIL to bring me some and she opted for an Aveeno brand. Loved them. It's amazing how much better you feel with a little facial refresh, even though deep down you know you are a disgusting, smelly woman.

- Button up Jammies. Once I got out of the hospital gown, I was not getting back in one. I had purchased two pairs of soft Simply Vera jammies from Kohls and they were perfect. Easy to nurse in and cute. Still sport them.

- I packed day and night outfits for the hospital. My reco: don't. Cute jams can be worn day and night. You just gave birth. People will understand. I wore three outfits during the 4 days I was in the hospital: gown, one pair of jams and the random hodge podge of clothes I wore home.

More learnings from the past six weeks coming later. Off to feed the machine.


No comments: