11/26/2012

Nesting: Hazardous for your health?

We got so much crossed off our to-do list over the weekend. We got the curtains hung in the nursery and also in the little fella's room his closest and dresser organized, his toy chest painted and covered and his bathroom organized. Photos of the nursery will be coming soon; we have some art being framed and we should get them back Dec. 5. Once they are on the wall we will make the nursery blog debut!

My mom was a huge help in getting all of his stuff washed. It's amazing how much laundry a little person, not even here, can generate! She also spent five hours organizing our kitchen. It was a huge project on my to-do list and she tackled it head on. Now the kitchen makes sense and there is room for bottles, pump parts and everything else little man will need in that part of the house. Made me appreciative of the time mi madre will spend at the house after the baby arrives. She's helpful.

Also on the weekend project list was decorating for Christmas. We just put out a few decorations to make it feel festive around here. Four stockings have been hung on the mantle! We normally get a real tree but we opted for the little pencil tree we had in the basement for simplicity. Since I'm taking it easy tonight, Trevor is taking the liberty of decorating for us. I just requested my favorite ornament makes it on there: dog in salad bowl. It gets more and more random each year but I love it.

Today we were scheduled to have a doctor's appointment, a meeting with the hospital admission coordinator and a meeting with our pediatrician. We didn't make it much past Shawnee Mission Medical Center; however. We had a new nurse and upon taking my BP she said, "what's going on with your blood pressure today?" We both kind of looked at her and she rechecked it. It was very high; I can't remember the exact numbers but I think it was 160-something over something else high. She made me lay on my side for a bit and then came back in to recheck it. It was still high, but lower than before. A little while after she left the room, I could hear Dr. Matthews talking to Ruth, our normal nurse. They were talking about how that was not normal for me. When Dr. Matthews came in the room, she had a definite look of concern on her face. There was also some protein in my urine which concerned her. After a lot of discussion as to why this may be happening (no idea; BP had always been normal) risks to me and baby, etc. she decided we needed to go to Labor and Delivery to be monitored. At one point it sounded like if the BP didn't go down soon, we may have had a baby this week. It was pretty intense for a while.

So off to the Special Addition Birth Center we went. After several hours of monitoring my blood pressure, the baby's heart rate and lab work, everything came back normal and my BP had dropped significantly. Dr. Matthews came by around 5 pm to discharge me. She has no idea why things were so high earlier in the day, but since the numbers looked good later in the day and I had no more protein in my urine, she felt comfortable sending me home to take it easy. Since everyone was so distracted during our actual appointment, we talked about the exam she did (still no progress) and induction date. We decided if Geronimo isn't here by then, we will go in the evening of Dec. 26 for Cervidil and then likely have the baby on Dec. 27. That is if he's head down...today it felt like he had moved so we have a sonogram scheduled for Dec. 6 to check out his position and size.

Needless to say we didn't make it to the pediatrician appt. and we did the hospital pre-admission bedside. But we are obviously happy everything turned out okay. When Dr. Matthews was talking about all the aide effects of preeclampsia, I was reminded that as routine as a pregnancy can be, there's still a lot of crazy things that can happen to mom and baby. I'm just grateful for a healthy pregnancy thus far and hopefully for the next 3.5 weeks.

Signing off from the couch,
Wendy

No comments: