9/14/2009

That darn Zappos.com

They got me again

A little history: I like to have fun with my gmail account. It's why the signature for that account from my blackberry reads: "I have big thumbs and this was sent from my handheld with itty bitty keys. Please forgive any typos."

Well, when I was on the Breast Cancer 3-Day a few weeks ago, I set my vacation notice (basically the out of office functionality for gmail) to read something like "Thanks for your e-mail. I am currently hitting the pavement in Denver, walking 60 miles in three days to put an end to breast cancer. I'll respond to your e-mail when I'm back." I then included contact information for Shannon in case someone was inquiring about Paint the Town Orange.

Fast forward to today when I just got our mail at home. Opened a birthday card for Trevor from Southwest. Cool. Behind it - an envelope from Zappos. I'm thinking it's a birthday card to me or a "thank you for a recent purchase" note. Nope. Not at all. It was so cool it made me tear up! (But I am lame like that sometimes.)

This is what the handwritten note read:

(Dated 8/28/09)
Hello Wendy!

While working through emails from our amazing customers, I came across your auto reply. Normally we mark them as auto replies, but yours caught my eye. I just wanted to let you know what an admirable thing you are doing! We at Zappos are proud to have you as a customer, and as part of our family. 

Thank you for being a wonderful person.

Ashlee - customer relations rep at Zappos

(With a big 'ole "THANK YOU" on the top)

I mean seriously. I can't get over it. I have friends, family and colleagues that didn't even acknowledge my participation in the Breast Cancer 3-Day, and I get a card from Zappos.com.

Zappos - you SERIOUSLY rock. I am in marketing/customer service shock. And if any of you have heard my recent complaints about Master Tailor and Urban Active, you know I was starting to lose faith in customer service. I love that I can now gloat about a company that has gone above and beyond. I've made one purchase from Zappos.com. One. And this is what I get. Unfreaking believable. Now I don't have to feel guilty buying shoes, 'cause I'm gonna go hog wild at Zappos.com. (

2 comments:

pammycakes said...

THAT IS AWESOME! Zappos rocks!

Brooke said...

That is great. I love stories like this!