11/12/2013

Plum Organics Issues a Recall

Check your pantries; Plum Organics has issued a recall on several of their products, including various pouches. The company says products may be spoiled inside the pouch because of a manufacturing defect. You can find more information here




I was trying to get CB off of pouches and canned food as I'm trying in general for all of us to eat a little less processed/packaged food. We had signed up for Door-to-Door organics, but it seemed a little pricey and the produce was going to waste. It was a bit of an eye-opener though--if organic produce doesn't last as long as non-organic, what is on/in the "normal" stuff that extends its shelf life? I also didn't think that organic bananas tasted as good as the good ole' Dole ones; again...concerning? Although I don't think D2D will work out, we did enjoy an outing to Trader Joe's over the weekend primarily for fruits and veggies*--fresh and frozen. I was impressed by the low prices and it was nice to be able to buy the amount I think we will need, as opposed to what comes in the bitty box 

While I am trying to feed CB fresh as much as possible, a friend reminded me that sometimes you can't argue with the ease and convenience of pouches/jars. Especially as the little one requires a lot of steaming, peeling and chopping, if it's a rushed dinner hour opening a lid, squeezing into a bowl and spooning + serving is the best route to go. But I am curious if others agree. And if you do, what do you look for in these packaged fruits and veggies in terms of sugar, sodium and other nutritionals. 

Just want to make sure the apple of my eye is getting what he deserves! 

* We also came home with a box of Peppermint Joe Joes and, as someone who isn't a real fan of Oreos, O.M.G these things were amazing. Especially crumbled over some vanilla ice cream! 

No comments: