10/30/2009

Making Halloween Happy

I'm in Yucktucky for work+T Fitch, and don't have a lot of plans for Halloween other than a much-needed Husker victory (hopefully). We decided to leave the Johnny Castle and Baby costumes in Omaha. And, I'm such a bad dog mom; since I was going to be out of town, I didn't even buy Macy a costume. :( Change that: she'll be a Maltese that misses her mama this year.

A few weeks ago during our monthly GNO, we got together and stuffed trick-or-treat bags for the kiddos in the pediatrics unit of UNMC. (Thanks to JHite for coordinating and delivering.)

Stickers, pencils, glow sticks, jumpy things, activity books - they should like them! (If I wasn't such a ding dong and realized latex balloons were no-nos in hospitals, they would have gotten those too.) I can't help but think of little lads that have to spend holidays in hospitals. (The worse place in the world as far as I'm concerned.) Making those bags was so fulfilling and - you know how I love the power of numbers - inexpensive when eight people contribute to the cause. My request is for all of us to make the holidays - any holidays - happier for those that need it. The girls and I have sorted cans at the food bank and (unbeknownst to them :)...) we've adopted a family in-need from the YWCA Omaha for Christmas. It's not that we're money bags and have a lot to give. It's not that at all. But we all are very fortunate for what we have, and realize we do have the power to make someone's holiday a little brighter.

What suggestions do you have on ways we all can make the holidays happier for those that need it?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Such a great idea!!

Unknown said...

You guys are awesome. Everything went really well yesterday and one of the ladies in the Child Life department asked for your contact information... But then I took all of the credit. Just kidding, thank you again.