10/08/2007

Thoughts from 30,000 feet

As I log onto my computer to write this post, aboard Midwest flight 157 from Philadelphia to Milwaukee, my eyes are welled up with tears. I’ve been crying. Almost downright sobbing. So bad I had to pass on the on-board-freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies so I didn’t have to look the flight attendant in the eye. My cocktail napkin soaked with tears…and snot. But once the ThinkPad powered up, this little face appeared at me larger than life as my screensaver and I chuckled. It was as if it were planned.

I didn’t have a bad day. I’m not scared of flying. I just finished reading Marley & Me. And you can probably guess what happens.

The bond between a person and their pet is something a non-pet owner just doesn't understand.



And that’s as far as I got before we were told to shut down all electronic devices. I still don’t understand the reason behind that. Anyway, so I don’t completely remember where I was going with the above but I think it was pretty much something along the lines of 1. dogs are awesome and 2. they truly are man’s (and woman’s) best friend.

I’m now en route from Milwaukee to Omaha. I’m tired. Trevor and any of my friends I’ve traveled with will vouch for the fact I turn narcoleptic on airplanes. For some reason - not tonight. And I don’t know why. I worked 36 hours in the past three days. I’m pooped. I want to go to bed. But I kind of have the restless legs syndrome going on. The other reason I can’t sleep right now might be because of the screaming child in front of us. Now, I know there’s not a lot a parent can do, but it’s annoying. I know I am just setting myself up for bawling kids on airplanes. But that’s another reason dogs are sweet. On my last flight there were two hounds and neither of them made a peep. The good news is since I’m not asleep, I was able to eat two – yes count ‘em two – on-board-freshly-baked chocolate chip cookies.

Apparently the key to landing is for me to turn on my computer. I’ve got to shut down again. Later I’ll post about the Philadelphia Breast Cancer 3-Day, which is where I was all weekend.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Did the airlines run some kind of special recruiting screaming kids recently? I've been on my fair share of planes in the last month, all of which had one (or multiple) screaming kids. What up with that?