10/14/2007

The Owl, the Key and the Fleur de Lis

Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma
Nobody knows how happy I am.

"Oh Pat," said she.
"What?" said he.
"Tell me the truth," said she.
"What do you think is the best fraternity?"
"Oh," said he, "that's easy, easy to see," said he.
"Nothing is better than KKG."
Oooohhhh

Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma
I'm so happy that I am a
Kappa Kappa Kappa Gamma
Nobody knows how happy I am

There you have it. If any of you have witnessed a Kappa sing that song where they bop up and down and wave their arms back and forth and sing real fast, now you know that there actually are lyrics. And if you happened to have been at Brewsky's in Lincoln Friday night, you might have heard that song because it definitely was busted out during the Kappa Kappa Gamma reunion.

Nearly 50 Kappas from initiation classes from 1996 through 2001 got together homecoming weekend in good 'ole Lincoln to remember our "dear Kappa days." People traveled in from Denver, San Diego, Chicago, San Antonio and Kansas City just to be there! I have to admit I was a little nervous beforehand - and I planned the whole thing! But there was a range of emotions: will she remember me? Am I successful enough? Is she going to be there? Will I get a chance to talk to everyone I want to? Will I make it to Lazarri's at 1 a.m. to get a piece of spicy chicken pizza?

Those emotions soon went away and suddenly I didn't feel like I had been away from the house for five years. We caught up like we had only been away from each other for a summer. I remembered everyone's name (another pre-event jitter), answered the question "do you have any kids" (with a no, of course) about a million times, and remembered how much cheaper beers are in a college town. We ended the evening at The Bar, which was a Kappa favorite. (Sad that we still knew some of the bartenders). There was definitely a new addition to The Bar - a photo machine. I think eight of us were crammed in there shoving money in the darn thing, but it didn't work. I am sure our pounding and kicking it helped :-).

We ran back to Kappa after (I do NOT remember it being that long of a walk - apparently I never wore heels in college or I walked home barefoot) and Denise and I gave ourselves a house tour. Of course we went on another one the next day when the house was officially open for house tours, but hey, I'll never refuse an opportnity to see where I lived for three years.

Fortunately for Trevor and I we didn't stay for the football game.

Photos below and at this link courtesy of Picture Man!



No comments: