12/17/2012

Finish line

We are SO close! At last Thursday's appointment all was looking well. Unfortunately it appears little man is quite content inside and when we asked Dr. Matthews whether or not we will see her at our next regularly scheduled appointment, which happens to fall on our due date, her response was, "I think I'll see you at that appointment." He already is taking after his mom...late.

But that's okay. With the recent acts of violence in Connecticut I can't help but think that any day now we are bringing a little person into the world and it is my job to protect him. And as much as I worry about feeding him the right way and avoiding diaper rash and safety proofing the house, none of that will protect our son against a tragic incident like what happened at Sandy Hook. So, while we are anxious to meet him and can't wait for his big debut, there is some comfort knowing he is safe and sound right where he is.

I've been feeling great. I won't lie...I think I'll miss pregnancy. I never knew how much people love pregnant women. I have more friends now than I ever have, and I'm talking about total strangers. Yesterday alone: the woman in the bathroom at church who struck up a conversation with me about maternity clothes. The manager at Banana Republic (bless her) who let me use their private restroom and chatted with me for a good 15 minutes about how I was doing and ended our conversation with,"well come back in here with him so we can meet him!" And all of the other random ladies out shopping who just saw this big belly and would say to me, "you're so cute!" This isn't about the attention I'm getting because I'm the size of the stay puff marshmallow man. It's the fact society treats pregnant women how we all should be treated: with kindness and adoration.

Soon, I'll go back to blending in with every other church goer and mall walker. I'll be told the "nearest public restroom is at Barnes and Noble." But what I hope I can do is start treating everyone around me like they are a pregnant women. Sounds weird, right? It's simple. Offer a seat to someone who needs it. Strike up conversation with random people. Tell passersby how great they look. I know how much those acts and comments have meant to me over the past 40 weeks and if we can bring a smile to other people who deserve it just as much as an expecting mom, I can't help but think we will make our community a better place.

No comments: