11/13/2008

The Gift of Giving

I'm going off memory here, but in the last two months we've written checks to at least:

Habitat for Humanity
Arthritis Foundation
Boys & Girls Club
Kappa Kappa Gamma
YWCA
Special Olympics
United Way

And while that's all good and dandy, and I am sure my money is going to great programs and services, it was the giving six of my friends and I did last night that really made me feel fulfilled.

Maybe it's because I was with dear friends and we decided to turn girls night out into doing good. Maybe it's because The Food Bank stayed open late to accommodate us and were so appreciative our our time. Maybe it's because I could SEE what my efforts were doing - the massive unorganized cardboard boxes were getting smaller and categorized boxes were getting filled, sealed, stacked and new ones started.

I drove home last night with a great feeling radiating through me (until I got honked at - I don't think I cut him off). I thank my friends and The Food Bank for a sense of accomplishment. I'll continue to write checks as long as I am financially able, but I can't overlook the gift of giving time. While it seems like we could use a lot more time, it's something everyone can give - regardless if you are 8 1/2 months pregnant, have kids at home, work full time - whatever! We proved that last night.

I'd just like to close by saying I love my friends :-).

No comments: