11/28/2008

All My Mom Wants for Thanksgiving is Her Two Front Teeth

We had an interesting Thanksgiving.

Let me set up the story by telling you the nemesis behind the story. My parents have a wolf head hat - a hat made of a real wolf head. They got it when we were in Alaska several years ago. It's fun to pull out occasionally. Macy is terrified of it. Now my mom is too. 

Megan and I playing around with the wolf hat several years ago 

They display it on a stone head statue - probably weighing 15-20 pounds. Wednesday night my mom was getting something out of a closet and the wolf head/statue combo fell. Her mouth took the brunt of it - knocking out her two front teeth and, four hours at the emergency room later, giving her eight stitches.

My mom originally had capped teeth, so that's what broke off. So what she was left with were the two little chiseled down pieces her capped teeth were affixed to. I tell you this part of the story because this conversation was funny.

Wendy: "So what did mom look like."
Kalin: "Like she got jumped."
Wendy: "LOL. So she had no teeth?"
Kalin: "Well she had the little stubs of real teeth."
Wendy: "Oh."
Kalin: "She looked like a vampire. A homeless vampire." 
Wendy: Erupts with laughter

My dad also called her a meth head. He's apparently watched too many after-school specials on what meth does to you and your teeth. 

Lucky for mi madre, my cousin's husband and our dentist, took her to his office yesterday morning and three hours later whipped up some temporary front toofers for her. 

In light of everything, my dad ate and ran at my aunt and uncle's and my mom stayed home since she couldn't eat and didn't want to gross everyone out with her stitches. So the rest of the family decided to show her how much we missed her. 

We e-mailed it to her from the gathering and she loved it, signing it "Love Mom on Meth." 

It was definitely a turkey day to remember. 

I also have to mention this. While my dad was on the phone with me, dentist Greg, my grandma, etc., our friends from Michigan called. They just found out the newest addition to the family, born about a month ago, has Down's Syndrome. Our thoughts go out to them.

Needless to say, it wasn't the best Thanksgiving. But I did wake up to a text message from Sarah and Jeff saying they welcomed their son to the world this morning around 1 a.m. And I'm about to clean out the storage room and watch the 'skers dominate the buffs with free beer and pizza (Thanks, Hites!) so hopefully things are turning around and the bad things are behind us this holiday season. 

No comments: