3/21/2006

I Take That Back

Since December I’ve told several people how I do not miss wedding planning. In part – that’s true. I do not miss spending my evenings tracking down people’s new addresses, stressing about whether to have white or ivory linens or if we should name our signature cocktail the Marrytini or the Merrytini.

However, as I look at our wedding photos again this evening I take that back. But I don’t miss those tangible elements. What I miss is the emotion, excitement, nerves (well, to a point) and anticipation the engagement and wedding brought – and all of the people we shared those feelings with. As much as a wedding is about the couple, it is also about their friends and family that wholly support their relationship. Neither Trevor nor I are who we are without the influence of many people, the closest of which we celebrated our engagement with on September 7, our future with at numerous showers, our friendships with at our bachelor/bachelorette parties and the day of our lives with on December 10.

Looking at this picture (and many others of us with our friends and family) makes me want to offer this one word of advice to anyone planning a wedding or who will plan a wedding future:



don’t get caught up in the nitty gritty details. The Knot.com and Martha Stewart’s Wedding Magazines will help you with those. Celebrating your wedding and the events leading to it with close family and best friends is the most important element.

In our wedding programs we thanked our guests for spending December 10 with us and said we were "fortunate to celebrate this wonderful occasion with such special people." We meant it. And that's something we'll never take back.

No comments: