3/30/2011

Alzheimer's

My grandma was diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease last year. Before then, I knew people that had relatives with the disease, but hadn't necessarily been impacted directly. Now, I'm just trying to learn more and more about it and will probably be using the blog as an outlet. If you know of anyone that's been affected, read of anything of importance with regards to the disease or--what I'm most intrigued about--how to make a difference in fighting Alzheimer's, I'd love to know. With regards to the last, I've supported many, many causes in the past without a direct connection. Mostly because it was a good cause I'm scared will affect me or my loved ones in the future (e.g. breast cancer), or because it was a fun way to support a cause. (Drinking beer for charity? Sign me up.) Well, now I have a reason to support the Alzheimer's cause and want to do anything and everything I can.

CNN.com just posted this article on dealing with Alzheimer's patients when they get violent. My grandma hasn't gotten violent, but you can definitely see a side of her personality we hadn't before. (She's dropping the f-bomb!) I cringe thinking about the fact my grandma could actually turn physical. And mean.

One of the things I find most amazing about the disease is long vs. short term memory. My grandma can't remember where we live nowadays (to her credit, neither can I). But I made a Shutterfly book for them from Christmas with old photos and she remembered their first apartment, her maid-of-honor (and funny things about her), could easily point out photos of my dad and uncle as kids, etc. It was pretty amazing that part of her memory is still there, whereas hours ago is not.


The brain is pretty remarkable. Here's to the day when Alzheimer's is a memory we'll all forget.

No comments: