4/28/2010

To renovate or not to renovate...that is the question.

We're staying in Omaha for a few more months--yay! More to come on that. But with this comes some questions about casa de Fitch. I'm getting the itch for a new house (two-story, privacy fence, three-car garage...ahhh!), but if we're only in Omaha for one more year, moving doesn't make sense and I know that. So, the question is...do we embark on some home projects to enjoy for our remaining time in this home or do we save the money and put it toward projects in a new residence? Specifically, I've been toying with the following (some for years):

Deck: We love having BBQs but we are outgrowing our deck space. The idea is to redo it and make it larger. This is; however, a pricey project and some revamped landscaping would have to happen around the new deck as well. To expand or not to expand...that is the question.

Flooring: We currently have laminate flooring in our kitchen, bathrooms and entry way. Blach. But it is definitely low maintenance, which I can't complain about. What I'd like to do is tile all of the current laminated flooring, rip out the carpet in the master bath and replace with tile and rip out the carpet under the kitchen table and tile that area too. I had this priced out once and it will cost about $4,000. To tile or not to tile...that is the question.

Countertops: New countertops would also be grand...but they'd also cost a few grand. Should I wait and let granite be a perk of a new house? To granite or not to granite...that is the question.

Landscaping: Some landscaping--around the power boxes in our backyard and on the side of our house where grass doesn't grow so well--would be nice. But again, we're looking at a chunk of change for this (and I do NOT landscape on my own anymore). To landscape or not to landscape...that is the question.

Driveway: With TFitch's work truck in the driveway now, I'd like to widen our driveway and make it a little easier to maneuver in and out of. I don't think it's that big of a project, but I do think there are sprinkler heads that need to be removed, etc. To concrete or not to concrete...that is the question.

I have a feeling we should sit tight and not invest in these projects. But at the same time, if we're living here for another year, we should love our house. Do any of these increase the value when we sell our house, or does it just make it sell faster--or do they do neither? I'm so torn as to what to do.

What would you do?

4 comments:

Arlynn said...

Well... I'd actually go for the new flooring & counter tops (leave the other luxuries for the new house later). The reason I'd go with new flooring & counter tops is that those things would probably be a great investment if you plan on selling your house. I'd imagine that they'd bring in a lot more $$$ at sale time, thank they'd cost you all right now. But, that's only if you guys plan on selling. If not, I'd stick tight & save the dough for your new place. Even if you think it's absolutely perfect when you buy, there's always going to be something you'll "need" to spend money on - no matter what :-)

Wendy said...

Thanks for your thoughts! I think it comes down to me needing more patience. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Hi new BFF! I am in the same boat as you. We are planning to build in the next couple of years and I have had the urge to change anything I can get my hands on. The only major things my darling hubby has not thrown a fit about is new counter tops and paining all the rooms and some furniture. {what a party pooper! haha}

Can't wait to see all your ideas! Hope your having a great day! xoxo